The number of ICT companies in the Stockholm Region has grown dramatically during recent years. In 2000, there were 14,642 ICT companies in the Stockholm Region and by 2010, the figure was more than 19,500, according to FDB/SCB. This is one of the reasons why Stockholm now ranks as one of the world’s leading ICT regions.
One in ten of the fastest-growing technological companies in Europe, the Middle East and Africa is Swedish according to the annual Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA Ranking for 2008. This makes Sweden the fourth fastest nation. More than half of these companies began in the Stockholm Region.
Stockholmers are also quick to use new technological solutions and services. Swedes lie 18 months ahead of the rest of the world in mobile data usage according to TeliaSonera. This could be because Stockholm has one of the world’s most developed IT infrastructures with 100 percent broadband coverage, both fixed and mobile. Stockholm and Oslo were the first cities in the world to launch a 4G network.
There are many reasons why Stockholm is such an outstanding place for ICT companies to establish and operate:
- One of the world’s leading ICT clusters
- Increased foreign investment and venture capital
- World-class IT infrastructure
- Customized business service
- A Green IT focus
- Sweden’s most highly educated labor force
- Preferred choice of companies and business leaders
- The natural capital of Scandinavia
- Joint investment in digital services
- An innovative and creative region